Gout is a painful arthritic condition, which causes swelling and inflammation in one or more of the joints.
Gout usually occurs in the big toe but it is possible for it to occur in any of the joints. The cause of gout is high uric acid levels in the bloodstream.
Uric acid build up is caused by the body not eliminating the enough acid or the body producing extra acid or eating too much food that contain purines e.g dried beans or liver.
It is more likely that your will get gout if you
- Consume alcohol
- Are a male
- Are related to someone who has gout
- One of the things you should do to combat your gout is cut out all the foods from your diet that contain high levels of purines. Red meat (pork beef and lamb), seafood and fatty fish (lobster, scallops, shrimp and tuna) all have high levels of purines.
- Avoid alcohol, it interferes with eliminating the uric acid from your system and beer especially is linked to gout attacks.
- Drink a lot of fluids, water and cherry juice are particularly good.
- Eat fruit such as blackberries, cherries, purple grapes and blueberries.
- Alternating a hot and cold compress over the painful joint can give some pain relief.
- A sauna is an excellent remedy for gout.
Si Miao Wan is a herbal remedy commonly used in Tradition Chinese Medicine its also called the Four-Marvel Pill and it is used to treat gout symptoms. In a study published in Jiangsu Journal of TCM in 1998, Lu Jin Zhong treated thirty gout patients The formula consisted of
- Gan Cao (Licorice)
- Niu Xi (Achyranthes)
- Cang Zhu (Atractylodes)
- Ze Xie (Alisma)
- Huang Bo (Phellodendron)
- Hu Zhang (Polygoni Cuspidati)
- Yi Ren (Coicis)
- Zhi Mu (Anemarrhena)
- Ren Dong Teng (Lonicera Stem)
- Chuan Lian Zi (Melia )
- Fu Shen (Hoelen Spirit)
The formula was decocted and a dose given to the patients daily for ten days half was given in the morning and the other half was given in the evening. The results showed that five of the patients had improvement and the remaining twenty five had major improvement.
Return from gout remedies to natural healing home page
Return to old home remedies